FOWLER COMMUNITY CENTER
- The Fowler Community Center is located at 3364 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd. The Community Center is available for use by all Fowler residents. Fowler citizens can rent the building for parties, special gatherings, etc. The Fowler residents who wish to rent the building can contact Mary Stiver at 330-717-8778. The Community Center already has some items for guests to use such as tables of various sizes, folding chairs, cooking utensils, coffee pots, pots and pans, silverware, a dishwasher, refrigerator, and stove. It is $50 to rent the building with a $100 checking deposit in case there are any damages to the property. If there are no damages the deposit check will be returned to the owner. There can be no alcohol consumption or smoking on the premises. The Fowler Township Community Center can be a fun, safe area for Fowler residents to socialize.
- The Fowler Community Center has a senior citizens meeting at 9:30am every Thursday. Some of the various activities included are card games, board games, birthday parties, bus trip, and holiday celebrations. All senior citizens are invited to attend for a day and see if they would like to become a member, which costs $12 a year. One does not need to attend the meeting every week. The senior citizens must bring a lunch, except on every third Thursday because the lunch is provided. The senior meetings are a safe, fun way for the senior citizens to remain active and social within the community of Fowler.
Fowler is having a Christmas Walk on November 29th from 9:00am-4:00pm. There will be a various amount of vendors with food, crafts, and also gifts. This can be a great way for the residents of Fowler to come together, socialize with one another, exercise, and have fun!
Fowler has many golf courses in close proximity. The ones that are the closest are discussed in more detail below.
PRESTWICK GOLF CLUB AND GOLF COURSE
- The Prestwick Golf Club and Golf Course is located at 4096 Cadwallader Sonk Rd. in Cortland, OH and the phone number is 330-637-7901. This golf course is located 2.94 miles away from Fowler Township. This 9-hole golf course was established in 1969 and is made up of 3, 315 yards. This golf course is public.
VIENNA SHORT HOLES GOLF COURSE
- The Vienna Short Holes Golf Course is located at 888 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd in Vienna, OH and the phone number is 330-394-2626. This golf course is located 5.19 miles away from Fowler. This 9-hole golf course was established in 1954 and is made up of 1100 yards. This golf course is public. A short holes golf course is a great family activity.
SQUAW CREEK GOLF COURSE AND COUNTRY CLUB
- Squaw Creek is the closest semi private golf course to Fowler Township. Squaw Creek Golf Course and Country Club is located at 761 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd. in Vienna, OH and the phone number is 330-539-5103. This golf course is 6.09 miles away from Fowler. This 18-hole golf course was opened in 1922 and is made up of 6,908 yards.
MOSQUITO LAKE STATE PARK
- Mosquito Lake State park is the closest park to Fowler Township. It is located at 1439 State Route 305 in Cortland, OH and the phone number for the park office is 330-637-2856. There are 2, 483 acres in Mosquito Lake Park. The park is made up of woodlands and marshes. Mosquito Lake is one of the largest lakes in all of Ohio.
- The park provides an area for wildlife and vegetation to thrive. Some of the common wildlife in the park are beavers, red fox, river otters, fox squirrel, raccoons, white-tailed deer, rabbit, woodchuck,muskrat, robins, sparrows, Canada geese, herons, hawks, hairy woodpecker, swallows, golden and bald eagles . Common spring flowers that can be seen in the park are purple cresses, Duchman's breeches, and anemones.
- Some of the various park activities include:
- Boating- Mosquito Lake is 7,850 acres and allows for unlimited horsepower boating. The boats available for rent are fishing boats, paddle boats, pontoon boats, and kayaks. The number to call for a boat rental is 330-637-7076.
- Disc Golf- This course has 12 holes and there is no cost to play. The Squirrel Run Disc Golf Course is open 7 days a week from the months of April-September and in October during the weekends only.
- The Dog Park- This park is a 5 acre fenced in area where dogs can roam free off of their leashes. There is an area for small dogs and an area for large dogs, as well as a swimming area for the dogs. Drinking water is provided for the dogs.
- Fishing- Those who fish must have an Ohio fishing license. Some of the most common fish in the park are walleye, crappie, northern pike, and bass.
- Hunting- Those who hunt must have an Ohio hunting license. Hunting is allowed in certain areas of the park and the close by Grand River Wildlife Area in North Bloomfield.
- Hiking on Trails- There are two hiking trails that allow park visitors to explore the park. Mountain biking and snowmobiling are permitted on certain areas of trails.
- Swimming- Park visitors must swim with caution. There is a 600 foot beach available for park visitors to enjoy.
- Picnics- There are 4 areas for picnics in Mosquito Park where tables are provided.
- Winter Recreational Activities- Those that wish to engage in winter activities must follow the proper safety precautions. Winter activities include ice skating, ice boating, skiing, ice fishing, and sledding. There is also the use of the trails along the shoreline and the woodlands for snow mobiles.
- Mosquito Lake Park also provides wifi, handicap accessible facilities, playgrounds for children, and camp grounds for park visitors.
- Upcoming Park Events- On January 24th 2015 at 9:00am there will be a Polar Plunge for the Special Olympics and on April 11th 2015 at 9:00am there will be a Helping Hands Clean Up Day at Mosquito Lake State Park.
- Mosquito Lake State Park is a wonderful place to engage in outdoor activities and nature in the presence of family and friends.
CURVES IN CORTLAND, OH
- This is one of the closest exercising facilities to Fowler Township. It is located at 330 Windsor Drive in Cortland and the contact number is 330-638-0133. This exercising facility is 4.2 miles and 6 minutes away from Fowler.
- Curves is a fitness facility that is specifically designed for women and offers a 30 minute workout and a weight management program. The workout combines strength and cardio together. There is also a program called Curves Complete which is a 90 day program that focuses on fitness, diet, and motivation. This facility is a place for women to come together in promotion of fitness and wellness. Curves promotes an environment where women can feel comfortable and be supported.
- Hours of Operation- Monday 6:45am-6:00pm, Tuesday-Thursday 6:45am-7:00pm, Friday 6:45am-6:00pm, Saturday 10:00am-12:00pm, and closed on Sunday.
BODY SHOP AEROBICS AND FITNESS CENTER
- This fitness facility is also in close proximity to Fowler. The Body Shop Aerobics and Fitness Center is located at 3311 Warren-Meadville Rd. in Cortland and the contact number is 330-307-6070. The Body Shop Aerobics and Fitness Center is 4.8 miles and 7 minutes away from Fowler Township.
- This is a fitness facility that is open to men and women of all age groups, even children! Some of the classes that are being offered are pilates, weights, zumba, yoga, aerobics, step aerobics, physio all, turbo kick, senior aerobics, 30/30/30 which is kickboxing, step aerobics, and toning, kettlebells, drums alive, and group and private ballroom dance lessons. All fitness equipment needed for the classes are provided.
- The calendar for all of the classes and their times is located on their website at www.bodyshopaerobics.com/biography.html. The cost varies depending on how often one attends classes. Unlimited classes are available for $40 a month. It is important to ask about their monthly specials!
- There are also fitness classes centered around children. Children must be at least age 4 to attend classes. The classes offered are karate which is from 11:00am-12:00pm and a creative movement class which is from 10:15am-11:00am and involves tumbling, stretching, and other fitness activities for children. Both classes are every Saturday, including holidays. The cost for children to attend the classes is $25 monthly but there is a discount for multiple children.
- The Body Shop Aerobics and Fitness facility is a great way for families to focus on health, fitness, and stimulating activity.
Jill's DANCE SCHOOL/DANCE SHOP
- This is a dance studio located in Fowler Township at 3766 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd. and the contact phone number is 330-638-7598.
- This dancing studio/school can be a great way for children in Fowler to become active, learn teamwork skills, develop self-confidence, and most importantly to have fun!
- There are many types of dancing classes offered such as ballet, preschool dancing, beginner combo, hip hop, break dancing, tap and jazz, and small group lyrical. Each of these classes are split into various levels from 1-4.
- These dancers may also compete in state and local competitions but the emphasis is always on having fun! The dancers have also raised money for charities such as Easter Seals and the American Heart Association.
ELM ROAD DRIVE IN THEATER
- This is one of the closest movie theaters to Fowler Township. It is located on 1895 Elm Road NE in Warren, OH. The contact number is 300-372-9732. Elm Road Drive In Theater is 9.4 miles and 15 minutes away from Fowler.
- This family owned and operated business is a wonderful way for families and friends to come together to enjoy the art of film. When one comes to Elm Road Drive In they can see a double feature for a great low price. The price for adults is $8, for children ages 4-11 $4, and children under age 4 are free! A wide variety of foods are also offered at the concession stands such as ice cream, floats and shakes, and chili-cheese fries.
- This drive-in is currently closed for the season and will re-open sometime in late March 2015.
REGAL CINEMA BOULEVARD CENTRE STADIUM
- This is another one of the closest movie theaters to Fowler. It is located at the Eastwood Mall Complex, 24 Boulevard Centre Niles, OH. The contact number is 330-652-0933. Regal Cinema is 11.5 miles and 14 minutes away from Fowler.
- Regal Cinema is a great place to enjoy the entertainment of film. The most current movies are shown during various times throughout the day and night.
THE FOWLER BUTTS MUSEUM
- This museum is located in Fowler Township at 3364 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd. and the contact number is 330-637-2006.
- This local museum is a way for Fowler residents to understand and learn about their history. There are historic artifacts in the museum which have to do with the history of Fowler.
- The phone number provided must be contacted to find out when special tours are and the hours of operation.
THE FOWLER GENERAL STORE
- The Fowler General Store has been a staple for the community of Fowler. It has been around since it was first constructed in 1864! It is a place for the Fowler population to gather, converse, and socialize.
- The Fowler General Store is located at 3457 Youngstown-Kingsville Rd. and the phone number is 330-637-3933.
- One can get various items at this store such as household supplies, fresh meats and cheeses, sub sandwiches, and low cost candy for the children.
Fowler township emphasizes the importance of community togetherness and social gatherings by the use of Fowler Community Center and the Fowler Christmas Walk. The Christmas Walk also promotes the importance of exercise. The Fowler Community Center also encourages the elderly to be involved in the community and engage in various activities and socialization because of the senior citizen meetings every Thursday. The Fowler General Store holds a lot of value to the residents of Fowler and gives them a place to meet and converse. The museum in Fowler promotes the importance of learning and history while also having fun. The dance school gives children of Fowler a close place to have fun, learn, and practice dancing. These activities involve people of all different ages, from the elderly to the children. Fowler has many golf courses in close proximity.
Many of the recreational facilities I discussed were not located inside Fowler Township. There are unique fitness facilities near Fowler but there is no close gym where Fowler residents can buy a membership to and have access to cardio equipment such as tread mills and free weights. Fowler lacks any shopping areas, major restaurants, parks, and movie theaters. The closest movie theaters are over 10 minutes away. Fowler is in need of more recreational facilities for the residents of the township.